Day 8: Would You Want to be a Bird Parent?

Today, feeding birds and tending to the bug farm became the focus of my morning activities. It was a hectic endeavor as we moved from one task to another. The bird cages needed cleaning, and the birds themselves required nourishment. I can't imagine being a bird parent. The technicians and I discussed whether we would like to be bird parents. Below is what we would have to do as a "full-time bird parent":
  1. Feed your children with your BEAK!
  2. Gather more worms and fruits. But quick, because your children will need to be fed again in 15 minutes
  3. Feed your children again
  4. Clean up after your children and clean your nest
  5. Go STRAIGHT back to feeding your children again with whatever worms you still have left.
  6. Feed yourself
  7. Repeat
I would not enjoy being a bird parent. However, seeing the growth in how some birds were eating was fulfilling, as they progressed from only being able to eat dead mealworms to live "super-worms" (bigger, "plumper" worms) was amazing.

In the afternoon, I continued working on my graphic design projects. The challenge was finding the perfect balance between aesthetically pleasing design and informative content. An infographic would allow me to condense complex processes into easily understandable visuals. At the same time, posters capture the emotions and journey of my time in Houston with these incredible animals. There are many possibilities to explore; what I will decide on shall be a mystery until the Senior Project Exhibition :)

Today was yet another accomplishing day. From feeding and cleaning bird cages to graphic designing my experiences, my time here has been filled with valuable experiences. Tomorrow, I hope to do more work with our opossums and new songbirds.

Hours today: 7
Total hours: 41

Comments

Popular Posts