Day 7: Weekly Reflection 1

May 14th, 2023

6 PM CDT


Weekly Reflection 1

The weekend has finally arrived, offering a much-needed break from my busy volunteer schedule at the Texas Wildlife Rehabilitation Coalition. Reflecting on my experiences, I feel grateful and satisfied with my work during this past week.

During my journey this past week as a new volunteer in wildlife rehabilitation, I've been captivated by the complex processes of wildlife rehabilitation. The dedication and compassion of the technicians and volunteers have been genuinely inspiring. I've had the privilege of participating in various tasks, from feeding baby birds and maintaining the "bug farm" to getting to know our 100+ opossums. I've also deepened my understanding of wildlife rehabilitation procedures through research and crafting scientific infographics for the Senior Project Exhibition. Learning about different approaches and techniques depending on the species and their needs has also been incredibly interesting.



The emotional connection with the animals has left a lasting impression on me. Witnessing the progress of a grackle as it learned to feed itself independently was a moment of joy and accomplishment. However, there are also challenges, like the unexpected escape of an opossum. While we hope to see it return soon, incidents like this remind us that we are indeed working with wild animals, which can sometimes be very unpredictable.

Reflecting on the first week of Senior Project, I realize that volunteering at the center has further fueled my passion for wildlife conservation and animal welfare. So far, my journey as a volunteer at the Texas Wildlife Rehabilitation Center has been enriching and transformative. From the dedicated staff to the resilience of the animals, every aspect has left me with memorable experiences. In addition, I carry with me the knowledge, connections, and a sense of purpose gained from being part of this community. As I eagerly step into the final and upcoming week of my volunteering journey at the TWRC, I look forward to continuing my learning and embracing the incredible experiences that await.


Total hours this week: 34

Minimum hours left to fulfill the Senior Project hour requirements: 41

Comments

  1. Great pics, Emma! Thanks for the updates. Your care shines through each posting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts