Day 4: No More Squirrels

May 11th, 2023
6:42 PM CDT

Squirrel season is officially over! The center finally released all of our remaining squirrels to their outdoor cages to adapt more to nature before they were officially released back into the wild. I'm glad I had the opportunity to work with them for these first few days before we had no more squirrels. Now, we are working with our 100+ opossums and our growing songbird populations.

Today, I spent my morning (from 10 AM to 12 PM) doing some independent research on the rehabilitation processes of squirrels and opossums. I also worked more on the infographics. Graphic designing is hard! I spent so long trying to find a suitable template I liked that would efficiently convey information about wildlife rehabilitation to a broader audience.

After lunch, I volunteered at the center from 2 to 6 PM. I worked a lot with opossums today. As I got to handle more baby opossums, I also learned how to set up new cages to transfer opossums from the ICU to join the rest of their buddies. Time went by quickly! I didn't feel as well as the previous days, but working with our animals helped distract me, and I felt better in no time.


Tomorrow will be the last day of the first week working at the center! I've already gained countless new experiences and hands-on learning with the animals. Of course, I'm sad to see the squirrels leave today, but I know they will soon reunite with the other squirrels in the wild.


Hours Today: 6

Total Hours: 28

Comments

Popular Posts